We made like 10 lb.. of potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner for about 17 people and we have probably half of the bowl left over. I guess we are going to be eating mashed potatoes for like a month straight ...
Perfect Mashed Potatoes (serves 4-6)
2 lb. Yukon Gold Potatoes (they are the best for mashed potatoes)
1 cup milk
1/4 cup cold butter
Salt (I just keep adding salt at the end until it tastes good)
- Peel and cut potatoes into chunks. You want the chunks uniform in size so the cooking time is even.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan or pot. Cover potatoes with water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer uncovered.
- Mix occasionally so the potatoes get evenly cooked.
- Cook until a knife or fork slips in easily about 20-30 min.
- Warm milk on stove over medium heat or in the microwave.
- Cut up butter into small pieces and place in serving bowl.
- I use a potato ricer so that they are extra smooth to mash them but you can use an electric mixer, hand masher, Kitchen-aid, etc.
- Mix potatoes with butter. Add milk in a slow stream and mix. Add salt until it reaches desired amount.