Monday, November 22, 2010

Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

I kinda just made this recipe up a while ago but it turned out super yummy so I hope you like it too!

Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
1 box Rice-a-roni Wild & Long grain rice mix
Rotisserie Chicken (I usually will buy one and maybe use about 1/2 of it then use the rest for something else; you could use just normal chicken breasts too but I like the flavor that the rotisserie chicken adds)
2 T. butter, to saute vegetables
1/2-1 onion, chopped (depending on size and how much you like onion)
1-2 ribs of celery, sliced
1-2 carrots, shredded
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
3 cups water
1 cup milk
4 bouillon cubes

Directions:
  1. Cook rice according to package directions.
  2. Meanwhile saute onion and celery in 2 T. butter for a few minutes over medium heat. I just do it in my soup pot so I don't have to clean a frying pan, I know I'm lazy! Then add shredded carrots for about 2 minutes since they are thin and small.
  3. Remove vegetables from soup pot and set aside on a plate or in a bowl.
  4. Melt 1/4 cup butter in pot over medium heat then add 1/4 cup flour. Whisk and let cook for a couple of minutes until it is light brown.
  5. Slowly add water and milk to butter/flour mixture, whisking while you add it to prevent lumps.
  6. Add bouillon cubes or flavoring (enough for 4 cups liquid). Allow the soup to thicken for a few minutes while stirring.
  7. Re-add vegetables to soup pot and rice once it is done cooking. The rice will help thicken the soup because it is a starch. Add chicken not long before serving because it only needs to be reheated not cooked.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment