I finally have updated my cooking blog since Tommy boy! To be honest I haven't cooked much since I had him, babies need a lot of attention :-) Enjoy!
Lemon Tea Cake (Recipe from: Susan Peterson)
5-6 Lemons (for juice & zest)
1/2 lb. butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
5 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup lemon zest
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
Craisins, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease (I use shortening) and flour 2 loaf pans, set aside.
- Combine butter and sugar in mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time and lemon zest.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside.
- Combine buttermilk, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Add flour and buttermilk mixture, alternating into mixing bowl starting and ending with the flour. Add chopped craisins if desired and mix.
- Divide the batter between the pans and bake for 45 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes. Poke holes in cake with a tooth pick. Drizzle both loaves with half of the sugar syrup (recipe follows). Then invert loaf pans onto a cooling rack over wax paper. Poke holes on the bottom of the loaves and drizzle the remaining half of the sugar syrup.
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Combine sugar and lemon juice in pan over low heat until sugar is compeletey dissolved.
- Poke holes in cakes with a toothpick on both sides.
- Slowly pour over both sides of the hot cakes.
2 cups powdered sugar
3 1/2 T. fresh squeezed lemon juice
*I added some of my remaining lemon zest about 1-2 T.
- Whisk together sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Pour over cooled cakes.