Thursday, October 28, 2010

Baked Potato Soup



I got some great recipes from the teachers that I worked with when I did my student teaching. This one is from Nicole Wright when I student taught at South Jordan Middle School. Nicole had lots of yummy recipes which I will probably post more of them eventually. I miss you Nicole! By the way, I love how all of my recipes so far are extremely unhealthy ... oh well.

Baked Potato Soup

2 potatoes, already baked
1/3 c. butter (or bacon grease if you want to cook your own bacon; you may need to add some butter until you get 1/3 c. if there is not enough left over grease)
1/3 c. flour
3 c. milk
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
3 green onion, sliced
1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
½ c. sour cream
3 Tbsp bacon crumbles (or 3 slices real bacon that you cook then chop)
1 c. chicken stock (You could add more bouillon to the soup if it needs more flavor)

Directions:
1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium-low heat.
2. Add flour and stir until smooth making sure there are no flour lumps left. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
3. Remove from heat and gradually add the milk while stirring. Return to heat and cook over medium-heat for 4-5 minutes. Mixture should thicken and be bubbly.
4. Meanwhile, cut potato in half, lengthwise. Remove peel from potato if desired. Cube insides of potato.
5. Add potato cubes to the soup.
6. Add chicken stock, salt, pepper, half of the green onion and half of the cheese.
7. Cook until it is heated through, about 1 minute. Turn off the stove and stir in sour cream. When mixed in, remove from heat.
8. Serve with remaining onions, cheese, and bacon crumbles on top as garnish. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment